Small Claims and Landlord Tenant

Small claims court deals with the payment or recovery of money and personal property valued under $35,000. The team at Affordable Immigration and Paralegal Support works with Hamilton and Greater Toronto Area clients to file and defend against small claims actions related to property damage, money owed, breach of contract and more. Just because small claims court might seem like a minor issue, it doesn’t mean that you should enter one unprepared. We will defend your interests, and make sure that you get a fair hearing.

In small claims court, you can sue for money or the return of personal property valued at $35,000 or less, not including interest and costs.

To sue a person or business in small claims court, your lawsuit, called a claim, must fall into one of the two following categories:

1. Claims for money owed under an agreement, such as,

  • unpaid accounts for goods or services sold and delivered
  • unpaid loans
  • unpaid rent
  • NSF (non-sufficient funds) cheques

2. Claims for damages, such as,

  1. property damage
  2. clothes damaged by a dry cleaner
  3. personal injuries
  4. breach of contract

If you want to sue for more than $35,000, you will have to take your case to the Superior Court of Justice

Book your consultation with one of our professionals today.

Contact Form 1

Using this contact form is intended solely for introduction of the addressee and Affordable Immigration and Paralegal Support. The submission of this contact form does not constitute a client-representative agreement. Please do not share attachments or confidential information.

Navigating rental law and the Landlord and Tenant Board of Ontario can be a headache for even the most experienced tenants and landlords. At Affordable Immigration and Paralegal Support, our paralegals can help tenants and landlords alike in Hamilton, Toronto and the surrounding communities. Whether you are having a dispute over rent, property maintenance or eviction, we will get to the bottom of the situation and make sure that your rights are being defended at all times.
The Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) was created by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) on January 31, 2007. The RTA gives residential landlords and tenants rights and responsibilities, and sets out a process for enforcing them. 
The role of the LTB is to:

  • resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through mediation or adjudication
  • resolve eviction applications from co-ops
  • provide information to landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the RTA

Stay up to date with Covid-19 announcements